Contextual Education at Candler
Contextual Education is the heart of the Candler curriculum. Integrating theological education with opportunities for formation in ministry and leadership in churches, social service agencies, hospitals, and other clinical and ecclesial settings, Candler’s unique Contextual Education program is designed to educate—through scholarship, teaching and service—faithful and creative leaders for the church’s ministries in the world.
Contextual Education at Candler includes the following:
- Contextual Education I and II: A four-semester sequence, Contextual Education I and Contextual Education II, required of all MDiv students. Learn more about Contextual Education I. Learn more about Contextual Education II.
- Teaching Parish: Student-pastor placements in United Methodist churches; fulfills the Contextual Education requirement for MDiv students. Only for those who are certified candidates for ordained United Methodist ministry. Learn more.
- Episcopal Studies: Student-pastor placements in Episcopal churches; fulfills the Contextual Education requirement for MDiv students. Only for those who are postulants or have the written permission of their bishop. Learn more.
- Clinical Pastoral Education: Student placements in hospitals, clinics and community agencies, focused on pastoral care, counseling and relational skills development; for credit. Learn more.
- Ministry Internships: Student internships for credit; may be in churches, agencies or with existing internship programs. For MDiv, MTS and MRL students. Learn more.