With the approach of the 2023-2024 academic year, Candler School of Theology welcomes new and visiting faculty to its ranks and celebrates promotions of current faculty.
John Thompson-Quartey joins the faculty as professor in the practice of church leadership and director of Candler’s Episcopal and Anglican Studies Program. Thompson-Quartey has served as Canon for Ministry in the diocese of Atlanta since 2014.
Stuart Higginbotham joins the faculty as assistant professor in the practice of spiritual formation and ministry and as Contextual Education supervisor for Episcopal and Anglican students. He has served as rector of Grace Episcopal Church in Gainesville, Georgia, since 2014.
Learn more about Thompson-Quartey and Higginbotham.
Natalya Cherry joins the faculty as Russell E. Richey and Merle Umstead Richey Visiting Professor in Methodist and Wesleyan Studies. Cherry is assistant professor of Methodist studies and theology at Brite Divinity School, where she as taught since 2018. Learn more about Cherry.
Lauren Calvin Cooke joins the faculty as visiting assistant professor in the practice of religious education and interim director of the religious education certificate program.
Hee-Soo Jung, resident bishop in the Wisconsin Annual Conference of The United Methodist Church, is the 2023-2024 Alonzo L. McDonald Family Chair on The Life and Teachings of Jesus and Their Impact on Culture. In this distinguished visiting professorship, Jung will teach an August-term course entitled “Christian Spirituality in a Global Context” and will present public lectures in February and March 2024.
Along with these joining the faculty, Dean Jan Love has announced that the following faculty members have received promotions:
- Richard Manly “Bo” Adams, Jr. has been promoted to Margaret A. Pitts Distinguished Director of the Pitts Theology Library and Associate Professor in the Practice of Theological Bibliography
- Jennifer Ayres has been promoted to Professor of Religious Education
- Ryan Bonfiglio has been promoted to Executive Director of The Candler Foundry and Associate Professor in the Practice of Old Testament
- Wesley de Souza has been promoted to Arthur J. Moore Professor in the Practice of Evangelism
- Thomas W. Elliott, Jr. has been promoted to Professor in the Practice of Practical Theology and Methodist Studies
- Timothy P. Jackson, who retired from the regular faculty in May, has been appointed as a Senior Research Fellow
- Helen Jin Kim has been promoted to Associate Professor of American Religious History
- Steffen Lösel has been promoted to Professor in the Practice of Systematic Theology
We look forward to the contributions these new, visiting, and continuing faculty will make to the Candler learning community.