Dr. Russell E. Richey, Dean Emeritus
Dean Emeritus and William R. Cannon Distinguished Professor of Church History Emeritus, Richey has retired ‘home’ to North Carolina. There he serves as a research fellow in Duke Divinity School’s Center for Studies in the Wesleyan Tradition and as a visiting faculty member. Richey continues as co-editor of the Emory-based Methodist Review (the online successor to the denominational journal established in 1818), on the national Episcopal-United Methodist Bilateral, on the UMC’s Committee on Faith and Order, and as Vice President of the Wesley Works Editorial Project. He served as director of the June 2013 and 2015 Wesleyan Studies Summer Seminar at Asbury Theological Seminary and as a member of its Board of Advisors. Similarly, with Randy Maddox and Richard Heitzenrater, he co-led Duke’s 2012 and 2014 Summer Wesley Seminar and is slated to do so again in 2016. He is the author of two dozen books, and a retired clergy member of the UMC’s North Georgia Annual Conference.
- PhD, Princeton University, 1970
- MA, Princeton University, 1968
- MDiv, Union Theological Seminary, 1966
- BA, Wesleyan University (CT), 1963
- Festschrift, based on the lectures at a conference Candler hosted in his honor, The Renewal of United Methodism: Mission, Ministry and Connectionalism, Essays in Honor of Russell E. Richey, Rex D. Matthews ed., Nashville: General Board of Higher Education and Ministry, 2012.
Of his two dozen books, ten appeared during his tenure at Candler.
- Episcopacy in the Methodist Tradition: Perspectives and Proposals, with Thomas Edward Frank, Abingdon Press, 2004
- Marks of Methodism: Practices of Ecclesiology, UMAC, V, Abingdon Press, 2005
- Mr. Wesley's True Heirs: Extension Ministers, General Board of Higher Education and Ministry, UMC, 2008
- Doctrine in Experience: A Methodist Theology of Church and Ministry, Kingswood Books/Abingdon, 2009
- Methodist Connectionalism: Historical Perspectives, General Board of Higher Education and Ministry, 2010
- The Methodist Experience in America: A History, with Kenneth E. Rowe and Jean Miller Schmidt, Vol. I, Abingdon, 2010
- American Methodism: A Compact History, with Kenneth E. Rowe and Jean Miller Schmidt, Abingdon, 2012
- Denominationalism Illustrated and Explained, Cascade Books, Wipf & Stock, 2013
- Formation for Ministry in American Methodism: Twenty-first Century Challenges and Two Centuries of Problem-Solving, General Board of Higher Education and Ministry, UMC, 2014
- Methodism in the American Forest, Oxford University Press, spring 2015
Online published book:
- Hear Dr. Richey preaching in Cannon Chapel via iTunes University (2010)