Financial Aid FAQs

Financial Aid Frequently Asked Questions

Below are answers to basic questions about Candler's financial aid offerings. If you don't see the answers you need, contact our Financial Aid office at or 404.727.6326.

Am I eligible to receive a scholarship?

Scholarships are available for all degrees except the Master of Religion and Public Life program. Scholarships are based on merit and availability of funds. While some scholarships are based on denomination, affiliation with a United Methodist annual conference or vocational intent, most scholarships are open to all students.

Click here to close

How do I apply for scholarships? Is there a deadline?

Your application for admission serves as your application for scholarships. For optimal scholarship consideration, complete your admission application by the degree program's priority deadline. Applications are reviewed for scholarships up to the final deadline for each degree program or until funds are no longer available. View admission application deadlines.

Click here to close

Do most students receive a scholarship?

Scholarships opportunities vary by degree program. More than 80 percent of degree-seeking students receive a Candler scholarship; however top scholarships are limited and competitive.   

Click here to close

When will I hear if I am offered a scholarship?

Scholarship offers are made after the priority admission application deadline and continue on a rolling basis until the final application deadline. All applicants who applied by the priority deadline will hear about a scholarship offer no later than March 31.

Click here to close

If I receive a scholarship, will I have to reapply each year to continue to receive it?

No. At Candler your scholarship stays with you throughout your program. All Candler scholarships are guaranteed for the length of your enrollment here as long as you maintain any vocational, GPA, denominational and enrollment requirements that may be stipulated for your award. However, scholarship recipients should file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year.

Click here to close

Can I apply for scholarships after I enroll?

Candler scholarship decisions are made only at the time a student enters the degree program and are renewable for additional years according to the scholarship stipulations noted in the award letter. After students enroll, Candler’s real commitment to making theological education affordable continues: we successfully help students pursue external scholarship opportunities and employment options, and we work to increase student financial literacy and decrease living costs.

Click here to close

What is the cost to attend?

Candler’s tuition and fees are comparable to peer institutions in theological education, and living expenses vary based on individual circumstances. See our cost of attendance page for details. Candler’s tuition rate is less than one-third of the actual cost to the university. Candler is home to many of the world’s leading theological scholars and is part of a world-class research university. By enrolling at Candler, you are making a real investment in your future.

Click here to close

How do I finance my education?

Typically, students’ financial aid packages are made up of a combination of a Candler Scholarship; grants from outside sources, including churches, annual conferences and community organizations; and federal student loans. Many students also take advantage of part-time employment, either on- or off-campus. The Candler Office of Admissions and Financial Aid works in conjunction with the Emory University Office of Financial Aid to ensure that students are considered for as many financial aid opportunities as possible.

Click here to close

What employment opportunities are available?

Qualified students secure work as research assistants for Candler faculty, assistants in program offices or the Pitts Theology Library, or in one of hundreds of jobs elsewhere on Emory’s campus. Students interested in working as a Graduate Resident Assistant at Emory University should apply through the Office of Residence Life. Candler maintains an online employment opportunities page that lists job openings at local churches and community agencies. See our student employment page for links.

Click here to close

Can I enroll part time and receive scholarships and loans?

Yes. A student may be enrolled for a minimum of six semester hours and still receive financial aid. Requests for use of Candler scholarships for part-time enrollment (less than 12 semester hours) must be approved in advance by the associate dean of Admissions and Financial Aid. Any student who enrolls for less than full time will have his or her Candler scholarship prorated accordingly. Part-time academic work is charged at a higher per credit rate than full-time enrollment, and all regular fees apply.

Click here to close

View all events »