Where appropriate, degree-seeking students at Candler may register for courses (usually without extra cost) at schools of the Atlanta Theological Association (ATA) or at nearby colleges and universities through the Atlanta Regional Council for Higher Education (ARCHE) program. In addition, students from ATA schools may take courses at Candler on a space-available basis for no additional cost.
Information for Candler students who want to cross-register at an ATA school
Except for courses taken toward the ThD degree, courses taken at institutions other than Emory, including ATA institutions, are counted as transfer credit. Students cannot take courses outside Candler during their final/graduating semester unless the host school guarantees grade submission by Candler’s due date prior to the start of the final/graduating term.
- An MDiv candidate may cross-register for a maximum of eighteen semester hours in institutions other than Emory, with no more than twelve hours taken at any one ATA institution and no more than six hours taken in any single semester. Specifically required courses, such as OT501, OT502, NT501, NT502, HT501, HT503, ST501, ES501, and P501 may not be completed at other Atlanta Theological Association institutions.
- An MTS candidate may cross-register for a maximum of nine semester hours in institutions other than Emory, with no more than six taken in any single semester, when justified by the student’s area of interest and in consultation with the director of the program.
- A ThM candidate may cross-register for no more than three credit hours in institutions other than Emory.
Click on the ATA school listed below to view course schedules:
- Columbia Theological Seminary (Decatur, Ga.)
- Erskine Theological Seminary (Due West, S.C.)
- Interdenominational Center (Atlanta)
- Lutheran Theological Southern Seminary (Columbia, S.C.)
- McAfee School of Theology, Mercer University (Atlanta)
Directions for Candler students who want to take a course at one of the ATA schools listed above:
- View the course schedules above.
- Complete the cross-registration form for Candler students
- Submit the completed form to the Candler Registrar’s office.
- You will be notified as soon as the Candler Registrar’s office receives approval from the host institution.
Information for ATA students who want to cross-register at Candler:
Directions for students coming from other ATA schools to take classes at Candler:
- View the course schedule
- Complete the cross-registration form for ATA students
- Submit the completed cross-registration form to the registrar of your home institution by August 1 (for Fall), December 1 (for Spring), and May 1 (for Summer). Do not contact instructors directly to be enrolled.
- You will be notified after the dates above if you have been approved to be enrolled in the course.
Note: If you are a student outside Candler and you are interested in a course at the Emory Graduate Division of Religion, you must follow the ARCHE policies and procedures.
Atlanta Regional Council for Higher Education (ARCHE) program
The ARCHE program is administered by the Emory University Registrar’s office. Information and deadlines including the registration form can be found on their website.