Work at Candler
Work at Candler
Candler at Emory University provides an uncommonly rewarding work environment. People are drawn to work here to enrich and change lives. They are attracted by the opportunity to participate in the community life of a top-ranked university. Emory ranks as the third-largest private employer in the metro Atlanta area. Candler students may seek internships and part-time jobs on campus with various departments and research projects.
Academic Services Coordinator
Job Code: UH09
Pay Range Minimum
*This is a Non-Exempt position. Employees in this position are paid an hourly pay rate, on a bi-weekly basis, and are eligible to receive overtime pay for any hours worked over 40 in a work week.
JOB DESCRIPTION: Assists in coordinating one or more student academic functions for a school or program such as admissions, financial aid, registration or student placement. Assists and advises students. Maintains budget records and assists in budget administration. Assists in preparing communication materials about a school or program. Actively participates in committees pertaining to academic services. Maintains and updates students' records in organized filing system and compiles reports from this. May develop resources for students to address particular needs. May supervise clerical personnel. Performs related responsibilities as required.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: A bachelor's degree in the school's or program's area of specialty or a related field. One year of experience in student admissions, registration, financial aid or related field. Previous experience with various personal computer software applications.
Responsibilities of position in the Candler Registrar’s Office:
- Serves as the first point of contact for all internal (faculty, staff, student) and external requests made to the Candler Registrar’s Office related to registration, course scheduling, data requests, and academic policies.
- Judges appropriateness of requests for the Candler Registrar’s office and either handles them independently or in consultation with the Candler Registrar, or refers to the relevant office/person.
- Works closely with the Candler Registrar to document division policies and procedures specific to the responsibility of the Candler Registrar’s office, and suggests revisions as issues arise.
- Provides the first point of contact for questions related to academic/graduation requirements and policies to the approximately 450 students enrolled at Candler. Responds to questions and/or refers to the Candler Registrar or appropriate office as needed.
- Provides general academic advisement to students and assists students with interpreting OPUS degree audit advisement tool.
- Coordinates the Atlanta Theological Association (ATA) cross-registration program at Candler, including: communicating deadlines policies and procedures to Candler students and host schools; processing applications; registering students; providing follow-up communication related to Blackboard, textbooks, student accounts, and parking for enrolled students; and confirming grade receipt and entry.
- Coordinates the enrollment verification process for all Candler students and alums. This involves on-going coordination and communication with the Candler Office of Financial Aid, other Emory University offices, and outside agencies (i.e. General Board of Higher Education & Ministry) as needed.
- Responsible for day-to-day management and maintenance of the Candler Registrar’s Office filing system, including current student files, graduating student files, class rosters and grade rosters.
- Responsible for generation, distribution and tracking of class rosters and grade rosters each semester.
- Enters and maintains class schedule in OPUS (Emory’s Peoplesoft SA system).
- Coordinates registration of classes requiring permission, maintains waiting lists for closed classes, and assists Registrar with other aspects of course registration.
- Maintains the Candler Registrar website using Cascade web management system.
- Utilizes 25Live system to make ad hoc academic room reservations and adjustments to semester-long classroom reservations made by the Registrar.
- Collects and maintains syllabi for all classes.
- Supports committee work of the Candler Curriculum and Policy Committee and the Academic Review Board, including assisting with end of semester correspondence on behalf of the Academic Review Board.
- Assists with annual Commencement preparation and execution, including diploma coordination with Emory Registrar.
- Supervises student worker(s).
- Performs related responsibilities as required.
Experience with Peoplesoft SA, Excel, and 25Live are preferred.
Click here to close
Assistant Professor in Religious Education
Candler School of Theology invites applications and nominations for a tenure-track faculty position at the level of Assistant Professor in Religious Education beginning Fall 2016. Preference will be given to complete applications submitted by October 1, 2015.
The person appointed to this position will be committed to theological education, preparing women and men for ministries in the church and the world. Successful applicants will hold, by time of appointment, the Ph.D.in religious education or in another related discipline that prepares the candidate to teach in the field of religious education, with a focus on issues of identity formation and faith development. Other areas of expertise may include multicultural education, ecumenical and interfaith education, intergenerational education, and spiritual formation and spirituality.
The person selected for this position will develop and teach courses in several of the degree programs of Candler School of Theology. Candidates may teach courses in the Religious Education Certificate within the MDiv and MTS programs, a youth ministry concentration in the MARL program, and the Doctor of Ministry program. The appointee will be responsible for an introductory course in religious education, and will have regular faculty rotation in the Contextual Education program.
The successful candidate will have a research and publication agenda to equip them to participate in the Graduate Division of Religion (including the Initiative in Religious Practices and Practical Theology) in the Laney Graduate School of Emory University. In addition to teaching and research, faculty members of Candler School of Theology are committed to service, both within the school and in the larger church and community. Candidates within the Wesleyan tradition (e.g., UMC, AME, AMEZ, CME, Nazarene) are encouraged to apply.
Application for this position should include a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, an official transcript of the highest degree earned, writing sample and three confidential letters of recommendation.
Candidates should apply online at http://www.hr.emory.edu/careers/index.html by uploading the letter of interest, curriculum vitae, and writing sample. Letters of recommendations should be sent by recommenders and transcripts should be sent from the granting institution to: the Religious Education Search, c/o Brenda Roberts, Manager, Faculty Development and Support Services, Candler School of Theology, Emory University, 1531 Dickey Drive, Atlanta, GA 30322, or email documents in Microsoft Word or PDF to email@example.com. Direct any questions to Dr. Liz Bounds, Search Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click here to close
Assistant Dean of Worship and Music
Candler School of Theology invites applications and nominations for the full-time, contract position of Assistant Dean of Worship and Music. Review of applications will begin October 10 and will continue until a suitable candidate is hired.
The person appointed to this position will be committed to theological education, preparing women and men for ministries in the church and the world by providing leadership for a worshiping community of diverse traditions and cultures within the context of a United Methodist seminary. Successful applicants will hold a theological degree (e.g., M.Div., M.T.S., M.A.R., D.Min.) and/or comparable credentials in choral and congregational music (e.g., M.S.M., M.M.A., D.M.A.). Ordination in the United Methodist Church is highly desirable.
Responsibilities for Worship include:
(1) Planning and facilitating at least three weekly chapel services with student planning teams, and the fall and spring convocation events, including musical elements
(2) Training and teaching of Office of Worship student staff and volunteers, overseeing Candler’s dimensions of the sacristy and sanctuary space, maintaining resource center
(3) Providing leadership in development of worship-related technologies (e.g., video, audio, web)
(4) Developing and overseeing worship budgets
(5) Developing and teaching one course in worship per year
Responsibilities for Music include:
(1) Overseeing and facilitating congregational music in worship services, including scheduling of musicians
(2) Providing leadership, training, and oversight for all choral ensembles in worship, including the Candler Singers
(3) Developing and oversight of music budget
Applications should include a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, an official transcript of the highest degree earned (sent directly to Candler from the granting institution), documentation of worship leadership (e.g., programs, audio or video recordings), syllabi of relevant courses taught and three confidential letters of recommendation.
Candidates should apply online at http://www.hr.emory.edu/careers/index.html by uploading the letter of interest, curriculum vitae, programs and syllabi. Nominations, confidential letters of recommendation, recordings and transcripts (directly from granting institution) should be sent to the Asst. Dean of Worship and Music Search, c/o Brenda Roberts, Manager, Faculty Development and Support Services, Candler School of Theology, Emory University, 1531 Dickey Drive, Atlanta, GA 30322; or email documents in Microsoft Word or PDF to email@example.com.
Click here to close